GREATER NOIDA: After two fire incidents in the electrical panels of the Elegant Villa society in Techzone-4, Greater Noida, in 2019 and 2020, followed by a close shave on Saturday, residents on Sunday filed a police complaint against the builder at Bisrakh police station.
On Saturday, at 12 am, residents claimed to have averted an incident of fire in the electrical board of Tower D by calling an electrician to the complex after smelling burning wires and switching off the main electricity connection.
In 2020, a fire broke out on the 10th floor of the same tower due to a short circuit in the electrical board of the building. In 2019, a similar incident occurred on the 18th floor, according to residents.
Nearly 200 families live across six towers in the society, which is presently under construction.
Amit Tiwari, a society resident, said, “We booked our flats in 2010-11 and were supposed to get them in 2014-15. However, we got our flats in 2018. Nearly 500 flat owners are still awaiting possession. Two major fires have already broken out in the society due to short circuits. On Saturday, it could have been the third incident. The wires have been installed unsystematically, leading to repeated short circuits. We filed FIRs two times earlier, but the issue remains.”
Even though families, who got possession of their flats, are currently living in the society, the builder does not have an occupation certificate (OC) yet. Residents alleged that the builder repeatedly promised to acquire the OC from the Greater Noida Authority but has not so far.
Sanjay Pandey, another resident, said, “The electrical wires, set up by the builder, are haphazard. There should be a standard wire. These fire incidents keep happening. Who is going to take responsibility?”
Umesh Bahadur, the station head officer of the Bisrakh police station, said, “We have taken their complaint on this issue. We will inspect the society and do the needful.”
TOI tried to contact the builder multiple times, but there was no response.